Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tiny looms!

So far this week:

- 2 oz. naturally-dyed Ramboulliet roving in a raspberry colorway from Tactile Fiber Arts, waiting to be chain-plied.

- 4 bias squares on my 7" Hazel Rose loom, made out of leftover sock yarn made from silk, superwash merino, and mohair batts from Franquemont Fibers. They are destined to become a 4-square bolsa like this one.

As part of my obsession with all things fiberarty and purse-size portable, I very willingly jumped on the Weave-It wave.

I have a a set of 4" and 2" vintage Weave-Its in their original Lucite box, a 7" walnut Hazel Rose loom, and I just bought one of her smaller, finer Multi-Looms. That's what you call hardcore.

My motivation for this is pure instant weaving gratification. I have a lot of random scraps of handspun left over, and I loathe seeing these going to waste. A 2" Weave-It square takes 2 yards of yarn. The other is that I love to spin cotton, but it takes forever to spin enough three-ply to make anything. I can make a six-inch cotton washcloth on my Hazel Rose in an evening of watching the CW.

I've been trying to figure out how to use these little squares in a way that doesn't look too...shall we say...church-basement-craft-circle. I'm thinking some omiyage bag patterns would look pretty cool in Weave-It squares.

6 comments:

Marlowe said...

I so want one of the 7" looms now! You are such an enabler!

KatDee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KatDee said...

Yeah, I guess I am. But I'd never advocate someone spending money on something I myself havent' shelled-out for.

That being said, I love my Hazel Rose loom!

(Edited because I can't spell these days!)

karrie said...

Oh hooray! A fellow weave-it fan! Can't wait to meet you next saturday!

-karrie aka girlontherocks

KatDee said...

Oh hooray! A fellow weave-it fan! Can't wait to meet you next saturday!

Oh, me too! I'm a Weave-It maniac. When I heard you were doing a Weave-It class at Color, I was all excited.

Anonymous said...

You are a bad bad influence! Just ordered a 4 inch loom....I am so going to get you a 10 tube pack of puffy paint now!

Keeping my fingers crossed that the loom will be here in time for Color...