Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Internet community drama

Apparently, the woman who owned the LiveJournal communities "spinningfiber", "dyeingfiber", "sellingfiber", and "weavingfiber" deleted them all yesterday afternoon for reasons that are not entirely clear but most likely have to do with her personal issues. The real tragedy of this is the collective wisdom of the 1500 spinners who were active there, many of whom are a pretty big deal in the spinning realm, has gone up in a puff of bytes.

However, in happier news, I finally got another 3.5 ounces of the "Rose Garden" wool, silk, and angora batt I bought from Crystal Creek Fibers spun and plied up and the top-down v-neckish, shawl-collar-y cardigan I'm making with it is back in process, just in time for summer when it will be way to warm to wear. One of the mysteries of the Schacht Matchless - the bobbins hold way more when they're full of singles than they do when they're full of plied yarn, which means I generally have about half an ounce of orphan single left on my bobbin. That is annoying, but I'm not counting out user error.

I think I have also figured out how to maybe get away with knitting at work. Needless to say, public knitting at my office would be frowned upon - not because they have any issues with knitting per se, but it would raise the question as to why I have so much spare time to knit. That's a conversation I'd never want to get into. So I've taken a very small project (the spindle shawl) and put it into a brightly-colored cosmetic pouch. When I need a knitting break, I just leave my desk and walk in the direction of the bathroom with this pouch, and nobody asks any questions. Then, I go out to the staircase and knit a few rows.

No comments: