Thursday, April 24, 2008

Idle thoughts : Woolee Winder

So I've been thinking about buying a Woolee Winder for my Schacht.

There are some things I need to consider beforehand. The first one is the cost: for a WW and three high-speed bobbins, plus three regular bobbins, the combined cost is basically as much as a mid-range new wheel. Youch.

Considering the need for a WW: I don't really feel the need for one, except when I'm plying. I've mentioned before that I can't get as much plied yarn on one bobbin as I can singles. I'm sure this has a lot to do with how unvigilent I am when changing the flyer hooks when I'm plying. My hands get busy and I forget to slow down and change the hooks. However, it is really annoying when I have a quarter of an ounce left over on my bobbin and the other one is full.

Still, is this problem worth $400? I don't know.

3 comments:

Kristine said...

Hi K,
do you remember Linda Partsch from Deep Color? She has used the WW extensively. She may be a good person to ask. I think she will be at Color.

KatDee said...

do you remember Linda Partsch from Deep Color?

She's unforgettable. I will totally grill her on the WW. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Do you really need high speed and regular bobbins? I use high speed bobbins with every whorl. Things could be very different with the WW though. Plus, yu may want more bobbins.

Sheesh! Did I talk myself into a never-mind?