Thursday, April 03, 2008

I'm weak

Yesterday saw the purchase of two KnitKits from Morehouse Merino: the ChocolateMint Scarf and the Waves Shawl. You have to admit, they're fabulous.

Also, I transcended the boundaries of distance and language to buy a couple of shawl patterns from Dorthea Fischer, the lady who (along with some friends) wrote the Danish tie-shawl article in this month's Spin-Off (a copy of which the divine Ms Kristine picked up for me).

You absolutely have to love these shawls. I mean, just look at them.

Especially this one. I have a fantasy of tying on my shawl, putting on my hat and mitts and going out in the cold morning to feed the spinner's flock. This is why my sisters call me The Goat Lady.

I have a fascination with "working shawls". Due to my tendency to travel long distances in very short periods of time, I've developed a "nomad" mentality, where if I'm going to be carrying something around, I want it to be as portable, useful, and yes, pretty as possible. Shawls can be cover-ups, mufflers, blankets, pillows, coat substitutes, and in a pinch, picnic blankets and bedrolls. Therefore, give me something I can wear as a jacket and sleep under when I'm stranded in Chicago Midway airport.

No comments: