Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Being the bigger person

Part of the reason I took up this blog again is that I'm intensely passionate about fiberarts and as a result I have some strong, probably unpopular opinions that are best kept off the Ravelry forums and the Handspinning community. I also use this as an idea notebook and I'm thrilled that people actually read it sometimes (HI PEOPLE READING!).

I say this because Kristine bought me the latest issue of Spin-Off, and I stayed up way past my bedtime last night reading it. I've never had a lot of good things to say about the magazine in the past. Some of my criticisms have been:


- The articles are oriented to absolute beginners
- The articles are oriented to arcane techniques
- The patterns/techniques are ugly (come on, you have to admit, there has been some fug)
- The articles on individual spinners are too "in-flight magazine"


However, I want to go on record and say I might be wrong about Spin-Off. I found tons of really great information in this month's issue. It's possible the magazine evolved a little since I read it last, but most likely it's that I matured a lot as a spinner.

Next quarter, I'm probably going to do a trial subscription. That's right, you heard me - TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION!

Last night I was over at at Kristine and Adrienne's and Sara, Marlowe, Krista, and a new fun person, Mike of the Yknit podcast was there. As usual, it was a scream, and as usual I stayed way, way too late. It was really great to have Mike there, a rooster in the henhouse so to speak, and I hope to see him again at some future fiber events.

I really need to start a blogroll.

3 comments:

WonderMike said...

It was so nice to meet you last night. I had a blast and will be attending future events! Love your blog, too. :-)

I completely agree about Spin-Off. I recently ate my words and SUBSCRIBED. I learn stuff every issue so far!

Krista McCurdy said...

Hah, I was there way too late too! Having to be at CCAC by 8:00 this morning really, really sucked. (I am so not a morning person.)

I like spin-off, even if it is occasionally off-- lately, though the issues seem to have been great!

p.s. will you convo me through etsy your email to add you to my mailing list?

KatDee said...

Hi guys! Thanks for your comments! :)