Monday, July 21, 2008

Natural dyes

After tying up my bandhani project, I got impatient to see what it looked like and got out my natural dye supplies. I'd totally forgotten how amazingly gratifying it is to do.

Although I only have one kettle and no thermometer, scale, or measuring equipment, I decided to throw caution to the wind and eyeball it to the best of my ability. The result was not a disaster.

I know I got the ratios pretty accurately, but I didn't have any way to weigh the cloth and I overestimated - the result was a dark purple cloth (even though I used logwood grey) and a lot of extra pigment left over. The hand of the cloth isn't great, but it's not terrible and I'll definitely be able to make it work.

Now that I know that I can do this with a minimum amount of hassle, I will be dyeing more in the future. I'm in the process of collecting yarns and finished pieces that bore me with the intention of overdyeing them to see what the result will be.

3 comments:

Kristine said...

Kathleen, you are so funny! I love your spontaneity coupled with obsession. I can't wait to see your scarf.

Marlowe said...

Ah, yes the dyeing bug. I've got it bad.

KatDee said...

I love your spontaneity coupled with obsession.

Thanks. That's the most accurate description of my approach to fiberart! It's going in my profile. :)