Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bandhani

Last night, the gang headed over to Kristine and Adrienne's to learn from her friends, Jabar and Jabbar, about their particular textile techniques. We had so much fun, and we weren't even drinking.

Jabar does a specific sort of block printing and I bought a cotton shawl from him that was very unique; its got a pattern of geometric birds (I call them ducks) printed in indigo. It wasn't that expensive and it was really unique so I had to cave in and buy it.

Jabbar showed us how to tie bandhani and as Kristine said, it is very addictive. I got through most of a shawl in a very simple design last night. Jabbar suggested that I dye the shawl twice; first in one color, take out the knots, re-tye them in a different pattern, then overdye. I'm pretty excited about that. We'll see if I can get my act together enough to actually pull it off.

No comments: