Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Spindle collecting

So, I've been wondering why I haven't bought a Golding spindle yet.

I've been wanting a Golding ever since I first saw them about two years ago, but I haven't bought one. It's not the price; with the money I've spent on spindles over the past year, I could have bought a few Goldings. I've been investing my money in Bosworths, Full Circles, and Graftons actually - I have an ambition to have a small flock of fiberships in the relatively near future.

There are a few spindle makers - Golding and Cascabeles to name two - who make spindles I think of as "fireside spindles". They're big, heavy, ornate and spin beautifully (so I understand). They're spindles for spinning at home. While I do use my spindles at home from time to time, I spin with my wheels at home.


So the spindles I buy tend to be on the compact, sturdy side because I'm a spinner on the go - when I'm carrying my life on my back, I don't want to have to worry that my spindle is getting squished or weighing me down. Although Goldings are undoubtedly sturdy and well-made, I wouldn't be psychologically prepared to take it on a sailing trip or be able to sleep knowing it's in the bag I'm using as my pillow on a train.

I guess a true spindle collector wouldn't have such prosaic concerns; I guess I'm ultimately a pragmatist, which is something I wouldn't have thought to call myself when it comes to fiberart.

2 comments:

Marlowe said...

I just ordered a Flagship. I'll share when I get it.

KatDee said...

Marlowe said...
I just ordered a Flagship. I'll share when I get it.


Oo...am I enabling again? :}