Thursday, May 08, 2008

More pondering: Great wheel

I realized yesterday that I need a Great wheel.

No, really, hear me out.

One of my big frustrations with working with short-staple fibers like cotton (okay, only cotton) is that I have a really hard time getting enough twist into the fiber before the flyer winds on.

That's why I bought my Bosworth book charkha, which I love to death but I can't spin anything in large quantity on it. I was on YouTube a while back, and I was watching this gorgeous video of Indian people spinning and weaving Khadi:



They're not exactly spinning on book charkhas.

Enter the Great wheel - works on exactly the same concept as the production charkha, on the same scale.

Frustration two - spinning bulky. I'm getting to the point where i want to spin big, loose singles for felting, but I can't do it on any of my current wheels. I just can't reach a low enough ratio to get the effect I'm looking for. The closest I get is when I turn the drive wheel with my hand to get a super-low twist.

Once again, the Great wheel is perfect for just this - since you have to turn the drive wheel by hand anyway, I have total control over the twist:




So this isn't just another rationalization to spend more money on fiber tools. I've actually thought a lot about it.

I'm thinking more and more about the bike spinning wheel project and how this problem can be solved fairly neatly with that, maybe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, do you have room for a great wheel???

Adrienne Rodriguez said...

OOh What a beautiful post - really - I love the first video - thanks for sharing. Yeah, I can see your need for control and how the great wheel offers that to you. I think we need to get the bike wheel and some welding happening! Also - I appreciated in the first video the synchronized spinning! Awesome! BTW Steampunk fashion is featured on the NYTIMES today!

KatDee said...

Sara A said...
Uh, do you have room for a great wheel???


No, I really don't, at all. I'm trying to not limit my vision with facts.

KatDee said...

Adrienne said...
OOh What a beautiful post - really - I love the first video - thanks for sharing.


I love both those videos - the first one always makes me think of Kristine. This is what I do when I'm all stressed out at work.

I think we need to get the bike wheel and some welding happening!

Yeah, I forgot to tell you you're going to help me with that. ;) Seriously, though, I really think it would be an awesome project and I'm going to try to make it happen.

I appreciated in the first video the synchronized spinning!

That's what the next Color Fiber Festival is going to look like. ;)

BTW Steampunk fashion is featured on the NYTIMES today!

I read that. Doesn't that pretty much mean the whole thing's gone mainstream and is therefore over? ;)

Adrienne Rodriguez said...

yes - I think I volunteered for the project without saying it - yea! I'm in - my backyard is free - or we can take a trip to the techshop - yeah - I am already looking at all wheels in a different way - I'd love to see your book when you get it - very cool - You will of course help me with my lowrider, right?

yup the SteamPunk thing is in the mainstream and donezo - sad - :(

Anonymous said...

You could always get rid of the bed and put the there instead...who needs sleep! :P