Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The SFB Experiment

So I've decided to do a summer fiber blending experiment, since I don't have enough unfinished art projects floating around my very very small living space:

I'm taking superfine superwash merino, baby camel hair, and alpaca and attempting to spin a soft, warm, lightweight yarn that would stand the test of my international playboy-type friends. It has to be warm (iffy constitutions from high living), luxurious (picky and high-maintenence), and durable (reprehensible Dorian Gray-like habits).

I'm documenting the whole thing with photos, which will be up soon. Today I carded a rolag, spun up a couple of yards of two-ply on my Schacht hi-lo, set the twist and worked up a swatch (I call it the "microscarf"). Next steps: the microscarf will be subjected to the "washer/dryer" test. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

bugheart said...

sound like
a wonderful
experiment...
would love
to learn how
to do this...
can't wait for
your photo
documentation!